Monday, May 2, 2011

Moments saved in Time

There are moments in your life where you think to yourself, "This is it. This is going to change everything I have known." There are times where people will ask you "where were you when...." and you can, without a doubt, recall them so vividly.

I remember being at the dentist with my brother and father. We were the only people around. I remember the dental assistants trying to do their job, but talking among themselves. Asking, "should we go home? Should we still be here?" I remember walking into my computer class and telling my teacher the news. I remember not even remembering all the names of the buildings that were hit (mainly the Pentagon). I remember the shock and horror I saw on her face and the panic that slowly set in among my classmates. On September 11, 2001, I was in the sixth grade.

I remember nearly two years later being asleep in my room. The next thing I knew, my oldest brother was running into my room and practically jumping on top of me in my bed. "We got him," he said. "We got Saddam." I was thirteen. Even then I knew it was a big deal. I thought it would be just a matter of time before Bin Laden was captured and this war would be a thing of the past.

Last night, my roommate and I were watching the Lifetime special, Coming Home. My phone rang just after 10:30. It was my soldier. "Babe," he said,"I need you to turn on the news." I innocently asked, "Which news?" "Any news. Just turn it on. I'm going to go watch this and call you after," he told me.
So I did what I was told. I had no idea what was going on. When I turned on the news, the screen only said 'Breaking News'. I had to sit and wonder what it could be. I began to text my family to tell them something important was going on. And I waited.
Then the news broke, and I couldn't believe it. Bin Laden is dead. We got him. I was in tears. I was shaking. My stomach was flipping over. I started pacing from the couch, to the kitchen, to my room, and back. My phone was buzzing what seemed like every ten seconds. My head was swimming and I couldn't make sense of anything.

Last night was not a night I am likely to forget. I won't forget the way I found out. I won't forget how I felt. I won't forget the out pour of love and concern I received from my friends and family, but I hope to forget the insensitive people who crossed my path.
We've been waiting for ten years. Ten years! This all began when my soldier and I were mere children. We knew it was a big deal, but we had no clue how much it would affect us in the years to come.
In this short time, I have learned more about military life than I had ever imagined. I never pictured myself with a military man. It was not what I thought was in my life plan, but here I am.
Our troops are fighting for a cause. For a purpose. Last night proves that. Justice was brought forth. I am proud to be a part of this military life. I am proud of my soldier, and of all of our service men.
However, it is not over. We still have a long way to go. We don't know what they are going to do now that Bin Laden is dead. All we can do is hope and pray. All we can do is wait.
I am so scared of what is to come. I know this is just going to add to my sleepless nights. I will not feel okay again until he is back with me. I am just counting down the days, and praying with all my might that he will come back safely--that they all will come back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment