Monday, March 28, 2011

Love lost

Love can come at you in many forms. And you can lose it just as quickly as you find it. In a few short days this week, I encountered two situations with two dear friends who lost their loves.

The first came at me in a text message. No, many text messages. My friend told me of a story every military girlfriend fears. There is the obvious situation that everyone thinks about, but every girlfriend fears she and her man will fall apart. This is about the latter of the two.
She poured her heart out to me. She told me how things are just not the same. She and her soldier are engaged, and things just aren't the same. She loves him, I know she does. But she hates the waiting game.
We will be together soon. Just wait. A little bit longer and we can start our lives together. These words, although they are meant to be comforting, can be very discouraging. It hurts to wait. Waiting is a reminder of being alone. And being alone is not where we want to be. All I could do for my friend was try to be encouraging. But in those times, you just need an ear to listen; that's what she needed me for.

The second love lost was heartbreaking. It is still very fresh, very new, and still weighs heavily in my heart and on my mind. It was my father who broke the news to me so early Sunday morning. He never brings good news that early in the day. And this was no exception.
Mr. Pool has died. Those words still ring in my ear. One of my best friend's father was gone, just like that. There was no warning, no time to prepare. He was here one moment, and gone the next. I still can't wrap my mind around this feeling.
He was a great father, a great husband, and a great American. He served his country in the Navy and later retired from there. Then he went on and became a high school teacher. He taught my two older brothers and countless other children in my town. I will always miss his jokes and his sarcastic comments we would toss back and forth.

Both of these loves lost are hard to swallow. Hard to understand. There is no rhyme or reason as to why things happen. There are few words that can be shared to bring comfort in either situation.

Love is a ever-evolving and constant changing emotion. It is something you always need to work on. It brings its own challenges and its own joys. It can be something so wonderful that you become so accustomed to it being there. You grow used to its warmth. Love can wrap its arms around you and make you feel so safe and so at home.
It is when love is taken away from us that we feel its wrath. The pain it leaves behind can knock you to your knees. It can make you feel as though you cannot continue once it is gone. Love can leave you out in the cold before you even know it.

Thankfully, I have not learned of this pain firsthand. I hope I never will. I wish no one had to know this pain. I have an overflowing amount of love in my life. I have my soldier, and before I know it, he will be back with me. I have my family, and we have our health.

My love is not lost. My love is present in everything I do. Every hour of the day, every choice I make, love has a part in my life. These days I have a lot to be thankful for; it is sad that people don't see that until it threatens to be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment