Saturday, March 12, 2011

Home cooked

I've started cooking a lot lately. Cooking, baking, making up my own creations. It may be due to the fact that I am a college student living in an apartment on my own. It may be the fact that since the beginning of time, I've only wished to be a 1950's housewife. It also may be that the last gift giving holidays, like Christmas and birthdays and whenever my parents decide to give me something, I have gotten pots and pans, baking dishes, and food platters of all shapes and sizes. Whever the case may be, I have started cooking a lot more than usual.
Earlier this week, I had people over for dinner. Granted, I only made pancakes, eggs, grits, and bacon, but I really liked being able to have people over to take care of them. It was a lot of fun and I even ended up baking cookies from scratch before the night was over. My friends kept telling me how great of a wife I was going to be.
My soldier and I have often talked about having a dinner party for our friends- if we are ever in the same town long enough to plan something like that. A few months back, he went to one of his buddy's place and he and his girlfriend had a big party for some sporting event and made nachos and wings and all the typical things you would expect at such an event. He told me how much he wanted me there that night and how he couldn't wait for us to have our friends over and have a party with them. I was so happy he wanted to share that experience with me. I couldn't wait to be able to do that together.
I want to be able to have a nice, home cooked meal for him the first night we are back together. I've looked at so many cookbooks and websites to try to find something he would like. I've even made up some of my own things that I know he would love. I can't wait for him to be able to sit at the table with me and share a meal again.
Although I am in no way eager to wish away my single and college years for I know they will be gone a lot sooner than I think, I can't wait to share my life with someone. I love being able to take care of people. I love planning parties and get togethers. I love the feeling of sitting down and eating a nice meal, knowing I cooked it myself. I'm so glad he would want to be able to share all of this with me, too.
It is almost like our life and our relationship is on hold for the next few months. Think of it as a really long weekend. If I constantly focus on how much time we have spent apart and how horrible the feeling of not having him here with me is, it will seem like he has been gone for forever. I am so lucky to have my soldier in my life. I can't wait for this time apart to be over. I can't wait to share a meal with him again. I can't wait to see him sitting at the table across from me. It is always the little things that I miss so much. And it is looking forward to the little things that I know all of this will be worth it in the long run.  That home cooked meal will, I'm certain, be the best thing I've ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment