Monday, April 4, 2011

Not a case of the Mondays

The phone rang while I was in class. I didn't know the number, but couldn't answer it anyway. I let it go to voicemail. I figured it was a wrong number. I was confused when I saw they actually left a voicemail- no one really does that anymore it seems like unless it is something important...or my mother. I checked it while I walked back to my apartment. " This message is for Cate. I'm from Jeanie's Flowers. We left your package at the office of your apartment building." My face could hardly contain my smile. My legs weren't moving fast enough to keep walking the six blocks I still had left to go.
I couldn't believe it. He sent me flowers. I feel like I am still in shock. It is crazy how something so simple could mean so much to me. Any case of the "Mondays" I had went straight out the window.
He woke up early to catch the flourist and make arrangements. He even figured out what time I would be in class and when I would be home today. The timing could not have been any better.
How lucky am I that even when he is thousands of miles away, he still thinks of me. Still cares enough to show me how much he loves me. How lucky am I that I have an amazing man to call my own? And very soon, he will be coming back to me. He makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the world. With or without flowers.
Today gave me the reassurance that I can do this. We can do this. We are beating this. As long as I have him to back me up and support me, I can do anything. It is the hope and the dream that he will be coming back to me that keeps me going. His love for me fuels my every move each day. I don't want to know who I would be if I did not have him.
In this short time, I have grown so much. I have learned so much about myself. I have learned my breaking points and what really is important to me. I love the person I have turned into. I am more secure and more sure about myself. I have become more trusting. I have grown to really love and appreciate the little things.
This is what growing up means. This is what love means. My soldier has shown me how to really, deeply, and honestly put someone else before me. He has shown me the important things in life. He has shown me what it means to love someone, and have that love in return. It is an amazing feeling.
These flowers were a small token of his affection. I will never forget them. Even his mother was stunned. She sure did raise a good guy; I must give her props for that! He has such a kind and tender heart and I am just beyond blessed to have him in my life. Even if I haven't seen him in a number of days which is just way too much, when I do see him it will make it that much sweeter when we are reunited.
I will put the vase of flowers next to my bed so they can brighten up my room and I can continue to smile about them. Although I can't smell his skin when I sleep, I will be able to smell the scent of the flowers he sent. I can roll over and see them as the last thing I see before I go to bed and the first thing I see when I wake up. Hopefully they will bring me sweet dreams as their sweet smell dances around me as I sleep. Hopefully the dreams will soon become reality.

2 comments: