Friday, April 22, 2011

Lucky and Blessed

This weekend, I am spending time with my brothers and their wives. I love having us all together. My brothers mean everything to me. They have been there every time I needed them. They are two of the best guys I've ever met and I am so blessed to have them as my brothers.
But while we were all out tonight, something was missing. Something felt off. We all were thinking of my soldier. We all were missing him. He completes me and my family and I can't wait to have him back here with us. I can't wait for things to feel whole again.
He sent me an email earlier. It was a picture of him. Apparently he got a hair cut--shortest I've ever seen it! There was hardly any left! This was the first time I have seen a recent picture of him that wasn't coming over a grainy computer screen. It was him, and it was wonderful.

There are little reminders every day that are in my life as to how lucky I am. Some of my really good friends are going through hard times with their boyfriends. We all sat down and tried to talk everything out- to find answers in a confusing situation. They talked about how they didn't know if they were going to last and talked about all their fears. It broke my heart to hear how unhappy that they can feel in their relationships. Granted, it isn't every day that they feel this way, but it is still enough to bring it up to the closest of friends.
They looked at me and told me how lucky I was. How they were jealous of the relationship my soldier and I share. I was so torn; I wanted to tell them that everything wasn't as it seems and that their relationship is probably couldn't be as bad as they were saying. But as they sat there talking about every little thing that gets under their skin, I realized I didn't have any story to contribute. I didn't have anything to complain about. I didn't have a story to share of how he treated me bad. And this made me so happy for myself, but so sad that my friends didn't have the same feelings I did about my relationship.
Now, I am not naive, I know things aren't all sunshine and roses. My soldier and I have disagreements and things we have to compromise on, but we still have so much overflowing love and respect for one another. He really is my best friend and I am so lucky to have him in my life. No matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment