Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No Greater Love

This week, and the one following, is going to be just dreadful. Finals start next week, and most of my professors assigned tests for this week. How does that? So this week, my life will be consumed with tests, papers, and projects galore. It will be good to be so busy and not have to think about too much of other things, but I still could use a break. I guess I can sleep after next week, right before summer classes start. Yes, it will be a very busy summer indeed. I just keep reminding myself to push through and it will all (hopefully) be worth it in the long run.

I got a text from one of my very best friends yesterday. I have made something for you and I hope you will love it. I was hoping it would be a brownie or cupcake since I really wasn't expecting anything. But what I got was so much better!
She walked in my apartment and handed me a painted canvas. When I looked down, I saw a picture of me and my soldier. It was one of my very favorites. It is us kissing in the snow, while snowflakes are still falling around us.
Next to the picture, she painted the words There's no greater love than the one between a soldier & the girl he is fighting for. It took my breath away. It was so simply put and so beautiful. I know it will be something I will treasure for a long time. I can't wait to hang it up and look at it every day.

Last night, my soldier went to bed before I really had a chance to talk to him and tell him about the picture. However, I got an email from him this morning telling me to check the mail for a package. So after my class, I went to my apartment complex's office and picked up my package. I had no clue what it could be. I hadn't asked for anything. I hadn't even given any hints to wanting anything. He did it all on his own and it made it that much better.
When I opened the box, I could not help but bust out laughing. I really wish he could've been there to see my face. I looked down to find a new pair of hiking shoes; grey, pink, and brown of course. I guess this is a not-so-subtle hint that he wants us to go hiking together. But that is okay with me, because at least it means that he is making plans for us; plans for us to do things together again soon. Just like a real couple.
These shoes are the same brand of shoes he is wearing today. When I think about that, and how simple it is, it makes me very happy. I am hoping that when I wear them in the coming weeks to break them in, I will feel closer to him. I can't wait to see what kinds of adventures they take me on this summer. For once, I am actually excited about going on extra long walks. It will be even better when he can be here to walk with me.

These two random surprises meant so much to me. They both showed the love for me and my soldier, and they both will help give me a good outlook on this week. This love I have for my soldier is greater than I have ever known. The love and kindness he shows me still amazes me. And whether it is a picture or a simple pair of shoes, small tokens of this love reminds me why I am lucky to have him. And I am so lucky, every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment