Thursday, February 17, 2011

Me? A Blogger?

I've been struggling with the thought of making a blog. I mean, who actually wants to read about my day? But tonight, despite my best friend's reservations and my better judgements, I have finally broke down and made one. So if my best friends ever end up reading this, I still love you and appreciate your thoughts on everything, but every now and then a girl has to have a way to express herself.

That brings me to why I decided to do this; this blog will be a way to express my inner most thoughts, feelings, and ideas. I don't want to sit here and tell you what I ate today or what my ideal outfit is...I honestly don't think my life is nearly that interesting nor am I a trend-setter that everyone should look up to. I am merely a girl with an opinion who is looking for an outlet for my emotions. Even if no one ever reads this, I am hoping this blog will make me feel better about myself. Maybe it will help clear my head of all the craziness that it is filled with. However, if you do happen to stumble upon this one day and actually spend time reading it, I will be a happy girl. And if it even helps you feel better about your life, I will be forever thankful. Who knows, maybe you will discover that no matter how different our walks of life can be, we are in the same boat.

So here it goes...my humble approach to a blog. My way of letting you into my life. Be prepared, I may not hold back as my rantings increase.

I'll start by telling you a little about myself (the term you is used relattively loosely here..I haven't decided if you are my potential readers, or if I am just typying to the computer as if it is my new best friend). I am a simple girl with simple dreams. I come from a great family and was lucky enough to live on what I consider to be one of the greatest places,  St. Simons Island. I have the best friends any one could ask for; they support me and have helped me through things I never thought I would be able to handle. And, although I am quite partial, I think I have the cutest puppy ever.

I am in a long distance relationship with the most wonderful guy I have ever met in my life. We met when I was 14 (and he was 15) through my brother, Bill. He and I went to my first high school homecoming (the theme was Saturday Night Fever and although it has now been nearly seven years since that night, I could probably recall very insignificant and minute deals). He was also my first kiss..that's just something a little girl never forgets. However, we went to different schools and it quickly grew too much of a hassle to date someone you never saw. We always kept in touch throughout the years, but we both found ourselves with different friends and different people to date. Then he moved away my junior year of high school and I didn't thought our friendship would continue.
I will never forget the day I found out he was joining the military. He took me out to dinner, at Crab Trap nonetheless, and waited until the near end of our meal to break the news to me. I was crushed. And I was scared. He left the very next morning for basic training.
We sent a few letters back and forth for a few months in 2007, which I still have in my nightstand back home. They were completely innocent, but they are some of my most treasured possessions.
Another night I will never forget was the night I found out he got hurt. Without going into too many details that no one wants to read about, I found out from his at-the-time girlfriend that he was hurt and I broke down. Even if we weren't dating at that time, I couldn't imagine what life would be without him. However, being the dumb and emotional 18 year-old girl, he and I got into a fight about how he was changing and blah, blah, blah and we stopped talking. It was a stupid fight, but I think we had to go through it in order to get where we are today.
Two years later, in the summer of 2010, he and I were both on our hometown terf. He was on leave and I was soaking up every bit of the summer vaction I had. He started to try to contact me, and I wanted nothing to do with him. Finally, after about three straight days of him relentlessly trying to ask me out, he got me with the line "just think..there is only a 30% chance you will regret it". Corny, I know, but for whatever reason, I agreed. He took me to see Despicable Me (which turned out to be really good...I highly recommed it). On the way over there, he played a Taylor Swift song..and that's when I knew I was hooked. Pretty much three days after that date we were officially back together.

We don't live nearly as close to each other as I would like. I miss him constantly. We also don't get to talk as often as I would like. But these factors make the small things so much better: I don't take him for granted which I so often see in relationships where the couple could see one another every day. Every moment that we share together is great. I never thought a simple phone call could mean so much to me. As the days we are apart rack up, I have to think of the wonderful times that we have shared together. We had our first Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's together. Unfortunately, we couldn't be together for this Valentine's Day, but I knew I made the right choice when I truly believed that I would rather get a 20 minute phone call from him than be out with anyone else.

So girls, and the potential guys who might read this, if you are in a relationship with someone you get to see a lot, take it from me: enjoy the time you have together, every time. All the petty fights just aren't worth it. The good should always, always, always outweigh the bad. Life is too short to be with someone who doesn't make you want to be a better person just by knowing them. That's the way I feel about my guy. He makes me feel lucky every day.


There's my rant for the night. Not too shabby for my first post. Feel free to comment and tell me about your experiences. After all, we are in this together. Goodnight, bloggers.

Make each day your own.
Cate

No comments:

Post a Comment