Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cate Day!

Today in my Stress Management class, it was "Cate Day"! A day just for me! We all sat around a table and I shared things about me and they asked me questions and at the end, they all stood up, gave me a hug, and told me one compliment. How great is that? It is just what we need every now and then.
One of the questions a classmate asked me was what I wanted to do with my major. I hadn't given it much thought, but I am interested in PTSD, so I said that. They all looked at me a bit puzzled; I guess that isn't a normal response. Most people want to go into counseling or work with children. I quickly explained that my boyfriend was in the service so it would fit well in our life.
Then more and more questions were asked: Was he overseas? When did he get back? How did it effect your relationship? Has he changed? I answered everything as simply and tactfully as I could. I got some sweet smiles and reassuring nods from people I just met yesterday.
Then another question was thrown at me: What was one of your most life changing experiences? I don't think I have to explain what I told them.
When I was done sharing fun facts about myself and my classmates were done asking random questions (they weren't all deep questions....some were my middle name or if I had any pets), I stood up and they all came to me and gave me a hug and said one compliment. A lot of them were "you have pretty eyes" or "you're really sweet", but the ones that got me the most was when a few people, complete strangers before yesterday, looked at me and said "you are so strong for standing by your boyfriend".
This got me thinking of how some people look at our situation in awe. They respect us for staying home while our loved ones leave. They think we are heroes for doing something they could never do. They see us as the strong ones, even when we may not. I wanted to send you a few reassuring thoughts for when you are having a rough day.

So to my readers:
-You are beautiful.
-You are strong.
-You were put here for a purpose.
-You can do anything you put your mind to.
-You are loved.
-You are a hero, too.

Although "Cate Day" may be over, it doesn't mean the way I felt in class will not carry through the rest of the day and probably a few days on. Make today yours. Do stuff for yourself. Remind yourself why you are strong. Remind yourself why you keep going. Keep fighting. Never give up. Make each day your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment